This recipe has become a weeknight staple for Adam & I! It’s simple, warm & comforting and can be made to be a little lighter for a “skinny” version or more luxurious aka carbs & extra cheese. The recipe came from Skinny Taste, one of my favorite blogs for healthier ideas and then was added to by yours truly.
We eat a lot of chicken because it’s simple, cheap to be honest and can be made a million different ways. This is a nice version to make the rotation of chicken & veggie dishes a tad more exciting. Plus- a simple delicious version of broccoli on the side helps add to it.
I’ve been reminded many times of how perfect this dish is on night’s when I’ve come home late from work or the gym and wanted something comforting and quick to make. Plus, any recipe with wine is basically begging for you to have a little glass as you cook… gotta make sure it’s good right??
As always, can print the recipe for easy use at the bottom of this post!
Things of note: you can choose to add as much or little cheese & spices to this recipe for personal taste. I tend to highly season & definitely recommend splurging on the fresh mozz. Cheese is never a bad idea. Also make sure you have your breading station set up on a counter so it’s an easy assembly line.
First in line- bowl with egg or melted butter, second- plate/cutting board with raw chicken, third- plate with bread crumbs, fourth- greased baking sheet.
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees and spray baking sheet with with cooking spray or use parchment paper
- Combine the bread crumbs and 1-2tbls of parmesan cheese in a bowl. I am a spice feign- so I generally add salt, pepper, garlic powder and a dash of chili powder/paprika to the bread crumbs.
- Melt butter in a different bowl. OR crack and whisk 1 egg.
- Use your assembly line: brush the butter on the chicken, or dip the chicken in the egg and then place on the plate with bread crumbs. Be sure to cover both sides of chicken generously.
- Place your chicken on the baking sheet and continue with all pieces.
- Set the oven timer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon 2 tbls (or smother it- whatever you want!) of marinara over each piece of chicken and a thin slice of fresh mozzarella ( if indulging). Return to oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve chicken over spaghetti noodles, zoodles or on it’s own with some veggies. I recently tried Banza pasta- delish!!
- I like to add some fresh chopped basil, a bit more marinara sauce and some red pepper flakes to the final product.
Spicing up store bought marinara
Here’s a super simple way to make your marinara taste homemade.
- Saute some shallots or 1/3 yellow onion in olive oil.
- Toss in some chopped/pressed garlic once onions starting to become transparent.
- Pour marinara sauce into a small pot and turn on medium heat.
- Add the sauteed garlic and onions to the marinara sauce.
- Pour in a splash of red wine and stir well for a few minutes.
- Throw in a dash of Italian seasoning ( if you have it) or salt&pepper and just a tsp or so of chili powder.
- Let simmer lightly for 5-10 minutes for flavor to develop and then pour onto your chicken & pasta.
Now hunker down and enjoy your crispy, saucy, cheesy 30 minute dinner!