This is the perfect spring dish… can you tell I’m dreaming of warmer weather as I stare out at the remnants of a late march snow?
It’s my favorite type of dish in that it’s a combo of light and fresh flavors, lots of veggies and lemon juice, paired with indulgence in the form of bacon and parmesan cheese.It makes for a really easy weeknight dinner or pasta dish for a picnic or BBQ. I’m already envisioning eating this at vineyards this summer paired with bottles of rose or white wine. Sigh. Bottles are acceptable- right?
The best part, this only takes 10 ingredients to make and 20 minutes to cook.
Ingredients: brussel sprouts, asparagus, lemon, white onion, garlic, chicken broth, bacon, parmesan cheese, butter and pasta.
Start with the two most time consuming parts which is cooking the pasta and the bacon. While the bacon sizzles away be sure to boil the pasta of your choice so both can be put aside while the veggies sauté.
Dice and sauté the onions and garlic. Then add the brussel sprouts and asparagus to cook until softened. Be sure to quarter the brussel spouts and cut up the asparagus so that they cook quicker.
I mean come on- how gorgeous and springy are those colors!! I love all the greens.
Once veggies have softened, season with salt and pepper and then add chicken broth. Once the liquid has mostly cooked off, add lemon juice, little bit of butter, chopped bacon and cooked pasta.
Toss everything together over the heat, adding a dash more lemon, parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes to taste. And just like, that it’s ready to serve!! Ta-Da!! Dig in!
When I first posted a picture of this dish, a few people messaged me asking for the recipe and I was thrilled to hear back that they all loved it!!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! I love hearing what you think and if you added anything to make it your own! 🙂 Plus, pictures are always wanted.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 pieces bacon
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese approx 2 tblspoons per serving
- 1 tbsp chilled unsalted butter
- 6-8 oz Pasta I used rigatoni ( textured pasta hangs onto the sauce better!)
- 15-20 Brussel Sprouts
- 6-8 stalks Asparagus
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 White onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Salt, Pepper & Red Pepper Flakes To taste
- Bring pot of water to boil
- Cook the bacon on the stove in a skillet. While bacon cooks cook the pasta for 9 mins ( al dente)
- Put bacon aside and let cool
- Destem the brussel sprouts and quarter. Cut asparagus into pieces.
- Dice 1/4 onion and press or dice 2 garlic cloves
- Cook the garlic and onion in remaining bacon grease (or olive oil) until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add brussel sprouts and asparagus to the pan and sauté for 2-3 mins until start to soften. Add a dab more of olive oil if needed.
- Add 1/4 cup chicken broth to help veggies cook. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Chop bacon into bits while veggies cook.
- Once liquid mostly cooked off, add juice of 1/2 lemon, red pepper flakes ( to taste), a little butter (approx 1 tablespoon), bacon and cooked pasta.
- Toss all together and serve with a dash more lemon if needed and some parmesan cheese.